Top three: All time most viewed

Friday, June 18, 2010

Change is all around us: How do we handle it?


The Loan Expert
June 18, 2010
Perspectives by Joel Pate
When Will This Change?
Over the years, I have given advice to a number of friends and associates who have gone through some trying times. Everyone always asks, "When will this change?"
Always remember-nothing will change until you change it! To me, this is the good news. At least it's up to me and I won't be waiting around for somebody else to find the time to help me. I can do it myself. Of course, we are talking about issues like money, credit, lifestyle, people, etc. Some things you just have to accept and the acceptance of them will determine how you deal with them so then we are right back on topic. But, you can change so many things that at this moment are causing you a great deal of difficulty.
Several years ago, my first unofficial mentor gave me this advice when I was going through my first financial crisis. I say first because there have been a number of them over the years. Every time I go through a problem or have a crisis, I remember his words: "You are earning exactly what you are worth. If you want to earn more, become 'worth' more."



For example, if you are looking at the market and saying to yourself, "I should be able to close more loans because..." and you use any reason other then 1) I have realistic plans to add to the number of referral partners that send me business; or 2) I am going to increase my marketing efforts that I have proven works; then you are only going to generate no more than and probably less than you are currently closing. You must change your 'worth' in order to change the result. Worth is, consist of, a number of things not the least of which is:
• Effort
• Energy
• Knowledge
• Time
So often when problems are "all around us," it is hard to define the truth. The truth is that you are going through a problem and you will get through it. But that's not the whole story. The rest is that you will have to change yourself, your actions, your thoughts and the amount of energy you apply to break free of the problem.
From my experience, I find that unwillingness to change is not only what prolongs a crisis but also most often is what caused the crisis. Over the years, I can recall a number of crises that were self-inflicted. Nearly every one of them was caused by my unwillingness to change, accept the truth, and do something about it. How about you?
What change must I make? That is the question you need to ask.
The lesson:
• Embrace change before you are forced to.
• Unwillingness to change causes a crisis.
• A crisis causes a loss of control.
Admitting and embracing this truth will diminish the number of crisis and will help you stay in control. It is a good thing that you have the power to change your circumstances and that you do not have to rely on anyone else.
Joel Pate is an entrepreneur and founder of multiple successful companies in the mortgage, real estate, and marketing space. For more information on Joel, contact him joel@oxpublishing.com.